Graduate Student Council

For all graduate students at CWRU

Frequently Asked Questions

What does the Grad Student Council (GSC) do?

The Graduate Student Council is the legislative body representing all graduate students at Case Western Reserve University. The GSC collects a small fee each semester from these students and uses this money to:

  1. Lobby the University administration for policy changes on behalf of graduate students. 
  2. Plan social and professional events for graduate students.
  3. Serve as a resource to all graduate students seeking information, assistance, and/or outlets for involvement
How do I get Involved?

Come to the next General Assembly (GA) meeting! We meet monthly on the first Wednesday of each month at 5:30PM in the Toepfer Room, on the second floor of Adelbert Hall. Anyone is welcome to attend these meetings, and food is provided. If you can't make a meeting, check out documents from the meetings to find out what you missed!

Contact your School-wide government to find out how to become a GSC Representative. You don't have to be a Representative to be involved: See our Committee pages to learn about and join a committee.

Who represents me?

Check out our roster of current GSC Representatives. If you see something amiss or don't feel you are adequately represented, please don't hesitate to contact the GSC Internal Communications Officer.

Who should I contact if I want to be a GSC Representative?

Contact your School-wide government to find out how to become a GSC Representative. If you can't figure out who to contact, or want more information, e-mail the GSC Internal Communications Officer.

What things do I get to do as a member of GSC?

Short answer: Anything.

Long answer: The GSC organizes social and professional events as well as discussing and taking action on issues important to graduate students such as Mentoring and discounted parking passes. Many people represent GSC by participating on University committees ranging from Research to Health Services to Budgeting to almost any other part of the University.

Why should I get involved?

The GSC is for graduate students, by graduate students. If you have any concerns throughout your graduate career here at Case Western Reserve University, the best way to fix the situation is to get involved and work to help change it. We all are busy, and we care about making CWRU better, so help out and let's make things better for all of us.

Do I have to be a Representative to serve on a committee?

Everyone is able and encouraged to participate on any GSC committee. To find out more about a particular committee, check out our Committees page.

What is the time commitment for Representatives or committee members?

Representatives are asked to attend our hour long monthly meetings. These meetings are intended to update the CWRU community about events and items important to graduate students. As the primary means of communication from the GSC to other graduate students, Representatives are sometimes asked to post fliers and relate emails to their programs and other graduate students.

Committees meet anywhere from once a semester to once every other week. Meetings are usually one hour.

All in all, it is up to you, time commitment is anywhere from 1 hour/month to many hours per week, you get to decide.

How does my organization get recognized by the GSC?

Recognition by the GSC provides many benefits for a student organization, including working with Student Activities and Leadership and funding from the GSC. For more information on how to get recognized, check our Organization Recognition page.

How do I add an amendment to the GSC bylaws?

The form to propose an amendment can be found here. E-mail the completed form to the GSC Internal Communications Officer.

If you aren't a Representative, suggest the amendment to a Representative of your program (you can find your Representative here).


OrgSync Login